Shahbaz’s travel abroad: Govt withdraws plea against LHC’s order
Ag INP
ISLAMABAD: The federal government on Wednesday withdrew its petition from the Supreme Court against the Lahore High Court’s (LHC) decision allowing Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) President Shahbaz Sharif to leave abroad.
The LHC had granted “one-time” permission to former Punjab chief minister to go abroad on medical grounds, after which the government moved the Supreme Court to have the decision declared null and void.
A two-judge bench of the apex court, headed by Justice Ijaz Ul Ahsan, presided over the hearing. When the proceedings resumed, the LHC’s registrar presented the record of the case before the bench, informing the court that the case was heard in one day after the reservations pertaining to Shahbaz leaving the country were dismissed.
“Was Shahbaz Sharif’s case heard as per the usual system or through a special process?” asked Justice Ahsan. The registrar replied the high court decided hearing the government’s reservations and Sharif’s petition the same day.
“On Friday at 9:30am, the reservations were raised and proceedings into the case began at 11:00am the same day,” explained the registrar.
Justice Ahsan remarked that the government’s attorney wasgiven only 30 minutes to seek instructions. “How many hearings were held, in the past one year, on Fridays at 12:00 noon?” asked the judge.
The judge remarked that the LHC had not even inquired as to in which list Sharif’s name had been included. “In how many other cases was one-sided relief provided?” he asked. “The manner in which Shahbaz Sharif was provided relief in this case cannot become a precedent,” opined the court.
“How can the movement of a suspect in an ongoing criminal case be restricted?” asked Justice Sajjad Ali Shah. He added the government’s position had been heard by the LHC.
The attorney general informed the court that the government had not made any accusations in its appeal against the LHC’s verdict. He expressed concern that the LHC’s decision would set precedence for future cases as well.
During the hearing, the attorney general told the apex court that Shahbaz had also withdrawn his plea from the LHC, to which Justice Ahsan remarked it meant that the matter was over now.
After the LHC verdict was announced last month, the PML-N president went to the airport to travel abroad but was not allowed to board the plane by immigration authorities.
Meanwhile, Adviser to Prime Minister for Interior and Accountability Shahzad Akbar clarified on Wednesday that the name of the opposition leader in the National Assembly was on Exit Control List (ECL) and he could not travel abroad.
Talking to a news channel, he said the issue regarding Shahbaz’s name on blacklist had become irrelevant and now the PML-N president had to request the federal cabinet to remove his name from the ECL if he wanted to travel abroad.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France