Toshakhana case: Court issues non-bailabale arrest warrant for Nawaz Sharif
ISLAMABAD: An Accountability Court (AC) on Thursday issued non-bailable arrest warrant for former prime minister Nawaz Sharif over his continuous absence in ‘Toshakhana; vehicles reference.
The court, however, granted one-day exemption from presence to former president Asif Ali Zardari in the same reference.
AC-III Judge Syed Asghar Ali conducted the hearing into reference against two former prime ministers Nawaz Sharif, Yusuf Raza Gilani and ex-president Asif Ali Zardari pertaining to illegal use of ‘Toshakhana’ vehicles during Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) tenure.
Yusuf Raza Gilani, Abdul Ghani Majeed, National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Prosecutor Sardar Muzafar Abbasi and NAB investigation officer appeared before the court.
At the outset of the hearing, the NAB prosecutor prayed to the court to initiate action against former prime minister Nawaz Sharif on his continuous absence from the proceeding. He said the summon notices against the accused could be given through advertisement in newspapers abroad.
He said the NAB investigation officer himself visited the residence of accused in Jatti Umra where the guard informed him that Nawaz Sharif was not there. He said Nawaz was living in Avenfield Apartments in London, adding that the NAB had obtained the travel record of the accused.
To this, the court issued non-bailable arrest warrant for Nawaz Sharif and ordered the Foreign Office to implement the summon notice to accused through Pakistan High Commission in United Kingdom (UK). On query of judge regarding the appearance of Zardari, his lawyer Farooq H Naek pleaded that former president could not appear before the court due to coronavirus outbreak in the country and prayed to the court to avoid summoning his client in person.
He said Zardari had been appearing before courts earlier. The judge asked the lawyer to provide address of Zardari in Karachi so that a notice could be served on him. Meanwhile, Yusuf Raza Gilani filed a plea seeking permanent exemption from hearing to avoid risk of coronavirus. He said he had been attending the court regularly. The court served notice on NAB and sought its comments on the matter.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports