Govt finally wakes up to city’s water crisis
KWSB gets Rs120m for new electric cables at pumping stations
By our correspondents
May 31, 2015
Karachi
The provincial government has released Rs120 million to buy new electric cables for five major water pumping stations of Karachi, the chief minister said on Saturday.
Qaim Ali Shah was presiding over a meeting with Karachi Water and Sewerage Board officials at the Chief Minister’s House.
Shah pointed out that he had also released Rs180 million earlier for the provision of free water through tanker trucks in the worst-affected areas of the city. KWSB managing director Hashim Raza Zaidi told the chief minister that the funds released for the free water tanker trucks service were being utilised properly.
He added that funds had been released for 1,000 tanker trucks daily but as the water supply had improved considerably, the demand had reduced to 700 trucks only.
Zaidi said the local government minister had formed committees headed by deputy commissioners who in consultation with the elected representatives of the areas and civil society members were sending free water tanker trucks in the areas where they were needed most.
These areas, he added, included Baldia, Orangi, Metroville, Surjani , New Karachi, Najam Alam, Lyari, Keamari, Sikandarabad, Mowach Goth and Grax
Karachi commissioner Shoaib Siddiqui told Shah that he was monitoring the system. “Besides, the water tanker trucks service is also being provided to mosques, public tanks and stadium tanks, from where people take it away to their homes,” he added.
Zaidi said the electric cables of the KWSB’s five major pumping stations at Dhabeji were around 45 years old and needed to be replaced at a cost of Rs120 million.
The chief minister ordered chief secretary Siddique Memon to release the funds immediately.
Zaidi pointed out that the water supply to the city had improved considerably. “We have repaired all pumping stations and the K-Electric is cooperating with us by not subjecting them to power outages,” he noted.
“Other areas are being covered through the free water tanker trucks. We have also come up with a valve system and providing water on a rotational basis.”
The chief minister appealed to political parties to keep politics out of the water issue so that the officers concerned could concentrate on solving the problem.
On the directives of the chief minister, the water board chief appointed E&M chief engineer Noor Ahmed as the focal person for controlling the Naegleria fowleri outbreak and proper chlorination of water.
The provincial government has released Rs120 million to buy new electric cables for five major water pumping stations of Karachi, the chief minister said on Saturday.
Qaim Ali Shah was presiding over a meeting with Karachi Water and Sewerage Board officials at the Chief Minister’s House.
Shah pointed out that he had also released Rs180 million earlier for the provision of free water through tanker trucks in the worst-affected areas of the city. KWSB managing director Hashim Raza Zaidi told the chief minister that the funds released for the free water tanker trucks service were being utilised properly.
He added that funds had been released for 1,000 tanker trucks daily but as the water supply had improved considerably, the demand had reduced to 700 trucks only.
Zaidi said the local government minister had formed committees headed by deputy commissioners who in consultation with the elected representatives of the areas and civil society members were sending free water tanker trucks in the areas where they were needed most.
These areas, he added, included Baldia, Orangi, Metroville, Surjani , New Karachi, Najam Alam, Lyari, Keamari, Sikandarabad, Mowach Goth and Grax
Karachi commissioner Shoaib Siddiqui told Shah that he was monitoring the system. “Besides, the water tanker trucks service is also being provided to mosques, public tanks and stadium tanks, from where people take it away to their homes,” he added.
Zaidi said the electric cables of the KWSB’s five major pumping stations at Dhabeji were around 45 years old and needed to be replaced at a cost of Rs120 million.
The chief minister ordered chief secretary Siddique Memon to release the funds immediately.
Zaidi pointed out that the water supply to the city had improved considerably. “We have repaired all pumping stations and the K-Electric is cooperating with us by not subjecting them to power outages,” he noted.
“Other areas are being covered through the free water tanker trucks. We have also come up with a valve system and providing water on a rotational basis.”
The chief minister appealed to political parties to keep politics out of the water issue so that the officers concerned could concentrate on solving the problem.
On the directives of the chief minister, the water board chief appointed E&M chief engineer Noor Ahmed as the focal person for controlling the Naegleria fowleri outbreak and proper chlorination of water.
-
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’