Egyptian fans to watch soccer games in stadium after 2012
CAIRO: Limited numbers of football fans are to be allowed into stadiums for league matches in Egypt for the first time since deadly riots in 2012, the country’s football federation said Monday.
Mostafa Tantawi, a spokesman for the federation, told AFP that up to 300 fans would from Monday be allowed to attend championship matches, while no restriction on numbers would apply to cup games.
Clubs would be held responsible for their fans’ behaviour, he said, following a partial lifting of the five-year ban decided at a meeting Sunday of the football federation.Egyptian authorities imposed the ban on fans at local matches after a February 2012 stadium riot in Port Said that left 74 people dead at a game between local club Al-Masry and Cairo’s Al-Ahly.
Three years after that tragedy, at least 20 fans of Cairo club Zamalek were killed in clashes with security forces outside a stadium in the capital in February 2015.An Egyptian court last month sentenced to jail 28 Al Ahly fans for wearing T-shirts paying tribute to the “martyrs” of the Port Said riot, accusing them of “incitement”.
-
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports -
Andrew Mountbatten Windsor Faces Future With UK MPs, Says Expert -
Shamed Andrew Told 'nobody Is Above The Law' Amid Harrowing Silence -
Gisele Bundchen Melts Hearts With Sweet Bike Ride Glimpse Featuring Son -
Prince William Found Meghan Markle ‘quite Refreshing’ At Start -
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Harper Beckham Sends Valentine’s Love Amid Brooklyn Family Drama -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’