KANO, Nigeria: At least 69 people died in a Boko Haram ambush of an oil exploration team in northeast Nigeria, as three men kidnapped by the jihadists made a video appeal.
Experts said the attack -- Boko Haram’s bloodiest this year -- underscored the persistent threat it poses, despite government claims the group is a spent force.
"So far the death toll stands at 69," said an aid agency worker involved in the recovery of bodies after the attack in the Magumeri area of Borno state on Tuesday.
The worker, who asked not to be identified because he was not authorised to speak to the media, said 19 soldiers, 33 civilian militia and 17 civilians were killed.
"The last body was recovered on Friday in the bush in the Geidam district of neighbouring Yobe state, which is several kilometres from the scene of the ambush," he said. —AFP
A man walks while smoke rises above buildings after aerial bombardment, during clashes between the paramilitary RSF...
This video grab shows tropical storm force winds blowing across Tumon Bay, Guam on May 24, 2023. — AFPWASHINGTON:...
Members of Daniel Ortega's 'volunteer' force. —AFP/FilePANAMA CITY: Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, his wife,...
A healthcare worker vaccinating a patient. —AFP/FileNAIROBI: Africa’s Centre for Disease Control and Prevention ...
New York City Mayor Eric Adams looks on during a press conference at City Hall in Manhattan in New York City, March...
A war crimes prosecutor and local residents exhume the remains of Olena Trofimova, 51-year-old, killed on June 25,...