SHC allows PPP MNA facing graft charges to travel abroad for treatment
The Sindh High Court allowed Pakistan People’s Party’ MNA Mir Munawar Ali Talpur on Tuesday to travel abroad for medical treatment.
Talpur, who the brother-in-law of former president Asif Ali Zardari and is already on interim bail, submitted in the petition that he was granted protective bail by the high court in a NAB inquiry into illegal appointments and misappropriation of funds in salaries of teachers.
The petitioner’s counsel, Farooq H Naek, submitted that Talpur was suffering from a diverticular disease and wanted to travel to the UK for medical treatment.
He submitted that his client wanted to travel abroad from December 12 to February 14.
The investigation officer of the case, Mohammad Abbas, said the petitioner was fully cooperating in the inquiry.
NAB’s special prosecutor, Mohammad Altaf Khan, also told the court that there were no objections over Talpur travelling abroad.
An SHC division bench headed by Justice Naimatullah Phulpoto granted an application allowing Talpur to travel abroad for medical treatment subject to furnishing a surety of Rs5 million for the period with effect from December 14, 2016 to February 14, 2017.
The court directed Talpur to submit the original passport of his relative, Riaz Ali, as requested by his lawyer, to the Nazir of the court. The court also directed the interior ministry to permit the petitioner to proceed abroad for medical treatment.
The petitioner was directed to appear in the court and also deposit his original passport with the court upon his return.
NAB had initiated the inquiry against Talpur on a complaint against accumulation of assets through corrupt practices.
Dr Asim bail plea
The SHC directed the investigation officer of NAB’s reference against former federal petroleum minister Dr Asim Hussain to submit a progress report of trial proceedings in connection with the charges of illegally awarding contracts to a private gas company.
The court was hearing Dr Asim’s bail application.
Dr Asim, Iqbal Z Ahmed and other officials of the Oil and Gas Development Company Limited were booked by NAB for illegally awarding contracts to a privately-managed gas processing company, the Jamshoro Joint Venture Limited.
The investigators alleged that the private company was allowed to process gas at five fields in lower Sindh without conducting an open auction, signing agreements and other necessary procedures – causing a loss of Rs17.33 billion to the national exchequer.
Filing a bail application, Dr. Asim’s counsel submitted that his client was incarcerated since August 26, 2015 and yet charged had not been framed by the accountability court. He submitted that all other co-accused had been granted pre- or post-arrest bail except his client.
The matter could not proceed because of the absence of Dr Asim’s counsel who was feeling unwell. The court directed the investigation officer to submit the progress report of the trial proceedings and adjourned the hearing till January 17.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports