Sharjeel assures industrialists of resolution of business community’s issues
The Sindh government is committed to address the challenges being currently faced by the traders and industrialists.
Sindh Senior Minister for Information and Transport Sharjeel Inam Memon said this on Thursday as he met representatives of the Korangi Association of Trade and Industry (KATI) at a luncheon hosted by the association.
He asserted that President Asif Ali Zardari, Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) Chairman Bilawal Bhutto Zardari and Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah recognised the vital role of traders and industrialists for the country’s progress as a significant portion of the country's economy was driven by traders and industrialists who also contributed the highest taxes.
The information minister was of the view that industries provided employment to millions of people, therefore, the business community must be provided with maximum facilities to foster economic growth and create more employment opportunities.
Memon said the Sindh government had extended an open invitation to private entrepreneurs to establish their own industrial zones for strengthening the country’s economy, attracting maximum investment and creating jobs. He assured KATI that he would brief the president, PPP chairman and Sindh CM about the concerns of the business community.
He stated that the Dhabeji Special Economic Zone presented a golden opportunity for traders offering zero import duties and a 10-year tax exemption. Its connection with the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) enhanced its value, providing significant benefits to traders and industrialists, he said
Memon said the Malir Expressway was set to open in two days and the PPP chairman was scheduled to inaugurate it. He described the Malir Expressway as a major gift for Karachi. He stated that a representative of KATI would be specially invited to the board meeting of the Yellow Line Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project.
Efforts are under way to complete the construction of Jam Sadiq Bridge within eight months, he said. He highlighted that the Sindh government had been operating transport services in Karachi on subsidies and for the first time in Pakistan, a province had introduced EV buses and special buses for women.
He announced that EV taxis would be introduced very soon. Memon clarified that there had been no delay in the Red Line BRT project on part of the Sindh government. He said the delays had occurred due to the transfer of utilities.
He further announced that double-decker buses would be introduced in Karachi this year and efforts were under way to operate them on Sharea Faisal within the same timeframe. He maintained that the law and order situation in Karachi had improved as in the past, strikes lasting up to 10 days would disrupt work and create difficulties for people.
He was of the view that the country was now safe for investment and Karachi's situation in terms of street crime was much better compared to other cities of the world. He stated that the Sindh government's cess amounting to Rs190 billion was currently stuck in the Supreme Court.
He said the government had engaged legal experts to expedite the process of securing these funds and once recovered, that money would be allocated for improving infrastructure. Memon said water scarcity was a significant issue in Karachi, and efforts were under way to address it through the K-IV and Hub Canal projects. He also highlighted that the Sindh government had allocated billions of rupees for the solid waste management and in cities such as Hyderabad and Larkana, garbage was being collected directly from doorsteps.
Regarding the health sector, Memon said the National Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases (NICVD), Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation, and Gambat Hospital were prime examples of the Sindh government’s efforts.
He stated that the Sindh government was taking measures to ensure the fitness of vehicles. Plans were in place to inspect vehicles, and while opposition and resistance may arise, the government was determined that no unfit vehicle would be allowed on the roads, the transport minister said.
-
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France -
Brooklyn Beckham Makes This Promise To Nicola Peltz Amid Family Feud -
Chinese New Year Explained: All You Need To Know About The Year Of The Horse -
Canadian Passport Holders Can Now Travel To China Visa-free: Here's How -
Maya Hawke Marries Christian Lee Hutson In New York Ceremony -
Glen Powell Reveals Wild Prank That Left Sister Hunting Jail Cells -
Edmonton Weather Warning: Up To 30 Cm Of Snow Possible In Parts Of Alberta -
'A Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms' Episode 5: What Time It Airs And Where To Stream -
Amy Schumer Drops Cryptic Message On First Valentine Amid Divorce -
Savannah Guthrie Sends Desperate Plea To Mom Nancy Kidnapper -
NBA All-Star 2026 Shake-up: Inside The New USA Vs World Tournament Format -
Warner Bros Consider Reopening Deal Talks With Paramount, Says Reports