US prepares for threat of joint Chinese, Russian and North Korean nuclear strike
WASHINGTON: The United States is making plans to counter the growing possibility of a joint Chinese, Russian and North Korean nuclear strike, according to a classified Pentagon document on Wednesday.
In March, US President Joe Biden secretly approved a significant change to America’s nuclear defence plan, The New York Times reported.
For the first time, the move has focused the US “deterrence strategy” on China’s rapid expansion of its nuclear arsenal. It also aims to address the threat of coordination between Beijing, Moscow and Pyongyang, according to the US newspaper.
The redirection reflects a deeper understanding of Chinese president Xi Jinping’s nuclear weapons ambitions as well as a recent deepening of strategic military and political partnerships between China, Russia and North Korea.
Last October, a Pentagon report revealed that China’s nuclear weapons stock had more than doubled in the previous three years, in what officials described as a “major expansion of their nuclear forces”.
The Pentagon’s China Military Power Report estimated that, as of May last year, China had around 500 operational nuclear warheads, which would increase to 1,000 by 2030 and 1,500 by 2035, roughly matching the numbers currently deployed by the US and Russia.
An official at the time said this put China on track to exceed previous projections.
Defence experts also warned that the US should not underestimate President Xi’s strategic move towards acquiring greater nuclear might.
“As US-China relations deteriorate and China embarks on a large-scale build-up of its nuclear forces, the security risks are rising,” Tong Zhao, a senior fellow at the Carnegie China Research Centre, wrote in a paper on China’s changing nuclear policy last month.
According to The New York Times, the White House did not publicly announce its revised strategy, named Nuclear Employment Guidance.
The highly classified document, updated every four years, only exists on paper in the hands of a small cohort of national security officials and Pentagon commanders. There are no electronic versions.
However, the pivot towards China was alluded to in carefully calibrated public comments by two senior administration officials, ahead of a more detailed, unclassified notification of Congress.
Meanwhile, China is seriously concerned about a report that said the United Stated approved a nuclear strategic plan to focus on China’s rapid expansion in its nuclear arsenal, the Chinese foreign ministry said on Wednesday.
“The US is peddling the China nuclear threat narrative, finding excuses to seek strategic advantage,” a Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson said.
-
AI Copyright Battle: ByteDance To Curb Seedance 2.0 Amid Disney Lawsuit Warning -
Savannah Guthrie In Tears As She Makes Desperate Plea To Mom's Kidnappers -
Canada’s Defence Industrial Strategy Targets 125,000 Jobs And Export Growth -
Tre Johnson, Former NFL Guard And Teacher, Passes Away At 54 -
Jerome Tang Calls Out Team After Embarrassing Home Defeat -
Cynthia Erivo Addresses Bizarre Rumour About Her Relationship With Ariana Grande -
Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Spotted Cosying Up At NBA All-Star Game -
Lady Gaga Explains How Fibromyalgia Lets Her 'connect With People Who Have It' -
Metro Detroit Weather Forecast: Is The Polar Vortex Coming Back? -
Daniel Radcliffe Reveals Surprising Way Fatherhood Changed Him -
‘Disgraced’ Andrew At Risk Of Breaking Point As Epstein Scandal Continues -
Alan Cumming Shares Plans With 2026 Bafta Film Awards -
OpenClaw Founder Peter Steinberger Hired By OpenAI As AI Agent Race Heats Up -
Kate Middleton's Reaction To Harry Stepping Back From Royal Duties Laid Bare -
Rose Byrne Continues Winning Streak After Golden Globe Awards Victory -
Ice Hockey Olympics Update: Canada Stays Unbeaten With Dominant Win Over France