Erdogan slams social media ‘fascism’ amid Instagram battle
ISTANBUL: Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused social media networks of “fascism” and censorship on Monday as his government blocked Instagram for a fourth day.
The US-owned platform, which has an estimated 50-60 million subscribers in Turkey, has been accused by government officials of censorship and failing to remove posts the authorities deem offensive.
Turkey´s BTK communications authority ordered access to Instagram frozen on Friday, without giving a reason. Company representatives have been summoned to a government meeting on Monday.
“We are facing digital fascism,” Erdogan told officials from his ruling Truth and Justice (AKP) party. He said social network platforms “cannot even tolerate photos of Palestinian martyrs without immediately banning them”.
“These companies have declared war, in the virtual world, on the glorious resistance and heros of the Palestinian people. They act like the mafia every time their interests are at stake.” Last Wednesday, Erdogan´s communications director Fahrettin Altun accused Instagram of preventing people posting messages of condolence over the assassination of Ismael Haniyeh, political leader of the Palestinian group Hamas and a close ally of Erdogan´s.
Haniyeh was killed in Tehran on Wednesday in an attack blamed on Israel. Erdogan said social media networks “respect the rules in America and Europe but deliberately ignore them when it comes to fighting unlawful content in Turkey”.
Transport and infrastructure minister, Abdulkadir Uraloglu, said on Friday that Instagram, which is owned by US tech giant Meta, had been suspended for ignoring demands to remove “criminal content”.
An anonymous BTK source said this included “insults to Ataturk”, the founding father of modern Turkey, “drug games (and) paedophilia”. Erdogan said the government had tried to “establish a dialogue” with the platforms but had not yet “managed to fully achieve cooperation”.
Uraloglu said on the X platform that he was “hoping for positive developments” from Monday´s meeting. The Instagram freeze has hit numerous businesses who rely on the platform.
-
Kate Middleton Knew Should Could Not Be ‘voice Of Reason’ With Prince Harry -
Rihanna Has Wardrobe Malfunction At A$AP Rocky Fashion Show -
Prince Harry Felt System Had ‘one Rule For Him, One For Prince William’ -
Jake Paul's Fiancée Sends Him Over The Moon Over Stunning Victory -
Why Prince William, Kate Middleton 'partnership' Is Important For Monarchy -
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis