France’s search for PM back to square one as hopeful quits
PARIS: Hopes of France´s left-wing bloc finding a consensus candidate to lead the country´s next government after an inconclusive snap election unravelled on Sunday as the best-placed contender dropped out.
A broad alliance of Socialists, Communists, Greens and the hard-left France Unbowed (LFI) holds the largest number of seats in the National Assembly after last week´s election runoff, but with 193 seats in the 577-strong lower chamber they are well short of a majority.
The result, says the leftist bloc -- called New Popular Front (NFP) -- entitles it to pitch their candidate for prime minister to President Emmanuel Macron, whose allies trailed in the vote.
Several days of wrangling within the loose coalition produced little until the emergence of 73-year-old Huguette Bello, a former communist MP and currently the president of the regional council in France´s overseas territory La Reunion, as a possible consensus candidate.
Bello quickly got the backing of LFI, communists and the Greens.
But they could not bring on board the centre-left Socialists, who have continued to back their party boss Olivier Faure for the job. In the face of Socialist resistance, Bello said on Sunday that she would drop out.
-
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’