ISLAMABAD: Over 44,000 social media accounts and posts were removed or blocked from Facebook, Twitter and YouTube from January 2023 till now by the authorities, The News has learnt.
Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) while talking to this correspondent revealed that under the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act (PECA) 2016, a total of 44,418 unlawful social media accounts and posts were blocked or completely removed from different social media platforms.
The data shared with The News reflected that from January 2023 up till now, the highest number of content (post or account) under the PECA law is removed from Facebook which is followed by YouTube and Twitter respectively.
A total of 20,829 unlawful facebook posts and accounts have been removed or blocked from the said platform by PTA.
From YouTube, a total of 12,776 posts, videos or YouTube accounts have been blocked or removed by PTA during the said period of time. Whereas from Twitter, a total of 10,813 twitter posts or accounts were blocked or completely removed from the platform during January 2023 till this date. In 2016, the National Assembly enacted the PECA law to provide a comprehensive legal framework to define various kinds of electronic crimes, mechanisms for investigation, prosecution and adjudication in relation to electronic crimes. Talking to The News, a source in PTA explained that under PECA 2016, the PTA has been empowered to remove or block online content if it considers it necessary in the interest of the glory of Islam, the integrity, security and defence of Pakistan or any part thereof, public order, decency or morality, or in relation to contempt of any court or commission.
Opening ceremony featured cultural games, traditional music, food items, art exhibitions, fireworks, puppet shows
Under government Haj scheme, 89,000 pilgrims will travel to Saudi Arabia to perform Haj through five airlines
“If people wish to work in Europe or wish to work in North America, they should be allowed,” says Musk
Once Iran resumes transmission, normal operations are expected to return across affected areas
Guinness World Records finally invited her to event in Los Angeles in 2010 to measure her tongue
Ukraine’s military has previously said it halted strikes on Russian energy facilities on March 18