Evert stunned by Sharapova news, not by doping in tennis
INDIAN WELLS, California: Chris Evert said on Monday she was stunned to hear that Maria Sharapova had failed a doping test, but not by the fact that there was doping in tennis, claiming that she knew players who had doped during her career.
Evert, an 18-time grand slam champion who retired in 1989, said the use of performance-enhancing drugs in tennis went on during her career, which was before the sport adopted current anti-doping rules, and that it likely goes on in all sports.
“You’d have to have your head in the sand if you didn’t at least assume that every professional sport might have some sort of performing-enhancing drugs being used,” Evert told a conference call from Indian Wells, where she will do TV commentary for ESPN at the BNP Paribas Open.
“Honestly, in every professional sport I think this goes on to a certain extent. In tennis, it doesn’t worry me as much. This went on when I was playing. I know players on the women’s tour who were using performance-enhancing drugs and we didn’t even have drug testing,” she added.
Sharapova faces up to a four-year ban by the International Tennis Federation for testing positive for meldonium in January, a drug she had been taken for 10 years due to health problems and which was banned on January 1.
Evert feels the length of Sharapova’s ban will hinge on her medical records and that the former Russian world number one may only deserve to be barred for the rest of the year.
“It all comes down to viewing the medical records from the doctors that took care of her 10 years ago and examining exactly what her case is,” said Evert.
“This drug is used for angina and severe heart issues. There’s always suspicion when you hear what the drug is used for. That’s why her defence needs to show medical records and her dosage.”
“If it does come out cleanly, I would say banning her for the rest of the year would be enough,” she added.
-
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’