Cuba reports first case of Zika in Venezuelan doctor
HAVANA: Cuba reported its first case of Zika on Wednesday, diagnosed in a 28-year-old Venezuelan doctor whose husband and brother-in-law previously contracted the virus in their home country.
The World Health Organisation declared the Zika outbreak, suspected of causing thousands of birth defects in Brazil, an international health emergency on Feb 1, although much about the virus remains unknown.
The patient arrived in Cuba on Feb 21 to take a post-graduate course in medicine along with 37 others.
She reported a fever a day later and was diagnosed with Zika on Monday.
She was recovering well in hospital, the Health Ministry said in a statement on Wednesday.
Her husband was diagnosed with Zika two months ago and her brother two weeks before she travelled, the statement said.
Zika is carried by mosquitoes, which transmit the virus to humans, though the US Centres for Disease Control said on Feb 23 it was investigating possible cases of sexual transmission.
The outbreak has spread to many parts of Latin America and the Caribbean and the WHO estimates Zika could eventually affect as many as four million people in the region.
The Cuban government, which has fumigated neighbourhoods and homes for decades to contain dengue -- also a mosquito-borne virus and a close cousin of Zika -- put doctors on alert for the virus weeks ago and ramped up mosquito eradication efforts.
The WHO is investigating a "strongly suspected" relationship between Zika and microcephaly, a condition marked by abnormally small head size.
There is no vaccine or treatment for the virus and some 80 percent of people infected show no symptoms.
-
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’ -
Poll Reveals Majority Of Americans' Views On Bad Bunny -
Wiz Khalifa Thanks Aimee Aguilar For 'supporting Though Worst' After Dad's Death -
Man Convicted After DNA Links Him To 20-year-old Rape Case -
Royal Expert Shares Update In Kate Middleton's Relationship With Princess Eugenie, Beatrice -
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s Leaves King Charles With No Choice: ‘Its’ Not Business As Usual’