Indonesian rescuers hunt for missing after landslides, floods claim 15 lives
Rescue efforts being hampered by continuous rain; search efforts to continue until Saturday
JAKARTA: Indonesian rescuers are continuing their search for seven missing individuals, four days after torrential rains devastated North Sumatra province, triggering flash floods and landslides that claimed 15 lives, an official said on Tuesday.
Eleven fatalities were reported in landslides across Karo, Padang Lawas, and Tapanuli Selatan districts, and an additional four people lost their lives in flash floods that struck Deli Serdang district following Saturday’s heavy downpour, disaster agency spokesperson Abdul Muhari said.
About a hundred rescuers along with police and military were still searching for the seven missing people, but they had been hampered by persistent rain, Abdul said.
"It's still raining from the afternoon until the evening. This is the main obstacle while we try to locate the missing people," he said, adding the search would continue until Saturday.
The landslides and flash floods damaged houses, mosques, and rice fields. Road access was cut off to several villages, and excavators were being used in the search for victims and the missing.
The disaster agency warned people in North Sumatra province to anticipate potential floods in the coming weeks as more heavy rain is forecast, Abdul said.
Landslides are frequent in Indonesia, especially in the rainy season. The risk of landslides is often increased by deforestation and small-scale illegal mining operations in remote districts.
-
Daniel Radcliffe reveals surprising way fatherhood changed him
-
Alan Cumming shares plans with 2026 Bafta Film Awards
-
OpenClaw founder Peter Steinberger hired by OpenAI as AI agent race heats up
-
Chinese New Year explained: All you need to know about the Year of the Horse
-
Canadian passport holders can now travel to China visa-free: Here's how
-
Edmonton weather warning: Up to 30 cm of snow possible in parts of Alberta
-
ICE agents 'fake car trouble' to arrest Minnesota man, family says
-
China confirms visa-free travel for UK, Canada nationals