At least 15 dead as riots break out in Papua New Guinea
Protesters including police and public servants set shops on fire in protest over tax hike
At least eight people died and several injured as riots broke out in Papua New Guinea's capital city of Port Moresby over tax hikes.
Protestors include the police and public servants, who claim that the government had deducted $100 from their paychecks while the government refuted these claims saying the deduction had been due to a computer glitch and that they had not made any deductions, BBC reported on Thursday.
Another seven people have died in the city of Lae where shops and cars were set on fire, and supermarkets were looted as hundreds took to the streets after police went on strike. A shopping mall was also set on fire.
The US embassy reported hearing several gunshots near its compounds. The Chinese embassy has also complained to the Papua New Guinea government, saying several Chinese businesses were attacked and several Chinese nationals injured.
In a radio broadcast, the National Capital District Governor Powes Parkop said that the looting had been carried out by "opportunists".
The government in a bid to restore order has deployed the army.
In an interview with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation PNG think-tank analyst Samson Komati said: "The events of today in Port Moresby are manifesting and revealing the inner social and economic pains and suffering of police, military, and other public servants of PNG, as well as all workers and ordinary people".
-
Poll reveals majority of Americans' views on Bad Bunny
-
Man convicted after DNA links him to 20-year-old rape case
-
California cop accused of using bogus 911 calls to reach ex-partner
-
'Elderly' nanny arrested by ICE outside employer's home, freed after judge's order
-
key details from Germany's multimillion-euro heist revealed
-
Search for Savannah Guthrie’s abducted mom enters unthinkable phase
-
Barack Obama addresses UFO mystery: Aliens are ‘real’ but debunks Area 51 conspiracy theories
-
Rosie O’Donnell secretly returned to US to test safety