NAIROBI: Fighting between youths sheltering in a UN compound in South Sudan´s Malakal killed five people and wounded 30 after violence erupted between two
ethnic groups, the UN peacekeeping mission said on Thursday.
South Sudan descended into civil war in December 2013 when a row between President Salva Kiir and his sacked deputy Riek Machar ended with fighting that often ran along ethnic fault lines.
People have been taking refuge in UN-administered "protection of civilian" sites, or POCs, since then.
Thousands have been killed since late 2013. The UN peacekeeping mission, UNMISS, said youths from the Shilluk and Dinka ethnic groups -- both staying in its protection site -- began fighting on Wednesday night using small arms, machetes and other weapons.
"UNMISS police in charge of maintaining order within the protection sites immediately intervened with tear gas to disperse the crowd. Casualties were brought to the international NGO clinic in the site," it said in a statement.
"UN troops have increased perimeter patrolling while physically securing areas in the vicinity of the Protection of Civilians site. UNMISS is also engaging with local authorities in Malakal to de-escalate the situation."
-
Poll reveals majority of Americans' views on Bad Bunny
-
Man convicted after DNA links him to 20-year-old rape case
-
California cop accused of using bogus 911 calls to reach ex-partner
-
'Elderly' nanny arrested by ICE outside employer's home, freed after judge's order
-
key details from Germany's multimillion-euro heist revealed
-
Search for Savannah Guthrie’s abducted mom enters unthinkable phase
-
Barack Obama addresses UFO mystery: Aliens are ‘real’ but debunks Area 51 conspiracy theories
-
Rosie O’Donnell secretly returned to US to test safety