GENEVA: More than 12 migrants were shot dead by human traffickers last week while trying to escape a camp in Libya, where some were subjected to “torture abuse”, the United Nations said Friday.
The incident, previously reported by Doctors Without Borders and local sources, occurred on May 23 in the town of Bani Walid, 170 kilometres (110 miles) southeast of Tripoli. “Human traffickers in Libya reportedly killed more than a dozen people and wounded many others after a group of some 200 Eritreans, Ethiopians and Somalis, being held captive, attempted to escape,” the UN refugee agency said in a statement, adding that those killed “were shot”. “The survivors spoke of torture abuse and exploitation at the hands of traffickers - some being held in captivity for up to three years,” the statement added.
A man walks while smoke rises above buildings after aerial bombardment, during clashes between the paramilitary RSF...
This video grab shows tropical storm force winds blowing across Tumon Bay, Guam on May 24, 2023. — AFPWASHINGTON:...
Members of Daniel Ortega's 'volunteer' force. —AFP/FilePANAMA CITY: Nicaraguan President Daniel Ortega, his wife,...
A healthcare worker vaccinating a patient. —AFP/FileNAIROBI: Africa’s Centre for Disease Control and Prevention ...
New York City Mayor Eric Adams looks on during a press conference at City Hall in Manhattan in New York City, March...
A war crimes prosecutor and local residents exhume the remains of Olena Trofimova, 51-year-old, killed on June 25,...