No peace until foreign troops leave Afghanistan: Mullah Mansour
Kabul: The Taliban´s new leader told Afghanistan´s government on Tuesday it must cancel a security deal with the United States and expel all foreign troops if it wants peace.
Mullah Mansour made the demand in a message marking the Muslim festival of Eid-ul-Adha, his first such message since he formally took charge after the death of founder Mullah Omar was confirmed
By AFP
September 22, 2015
Kabul: The Taliban´s new leader told Afghanistan´s government on Tuesday it must cancel a security deal with the United States and expel all foreign troops if it wants peace.
Mullah Mansour made the demand in a message marking the Muslim festival of Eid-ul-Adha, his first such message since he formally took charge after the death of founder Mullah Omar was confirmed in July.
"If the Kabul administration wants to end the war and establish peace in the country, it is possible through ending the occupation and revoking all military and security treaties with the invaders," Mansour said in the message.
Washington and Kabul signed a security deal in September last year allowing around 13,000 foreign troops, including 10,000 US, to stay on after NATO´s combat mission ended in December 2014.
The residual force is not engaged in day-to-day fighting with the Taliban militants but focuses instead on training, support and counter-terrorism operations.
The Taliban, fighting a bloody insurgency since a US-led invasion ousted them from power in 2001, have long said the departure of "occupying" foreign troops is a necessary condition for meaningful peace talks.
"The Islamic Emirate (Taliban) believes if the country is not under occupation, the problem of the Afghans can be resolved through intra-Afghan understanding," Mansour said in the message posted in English on the Taliban´s website.
Mullah Mansour made the demand in a message marking the Muslim festival of Eid-ul-Adha, his first such message since he formally took charge after the death of founder Mullah Omar was confirmed in July.
"If the Kabul administration wants to end the war and establish peace in the country, it is possible through ending the occupation and revoking all military and security treaties with the invaders," Mansour said in the message.
Washington and Kabul signed a security deal in September last year allowing around 13,000 foreign troops, including 10,000 US, to stay on after NATO´s combat mission ended in December 2014.
The residual force is not engaged in day-to-day fighting with the Taliban militants but focuses instead on training, support and counter-terrorism operations.
The Taliban, fighting a bloody insurgency since a US-led invasion ousted them from power in 2001, have long said the departure of "occupying" foreign troops is a necessary condition for meaningful peace talks.
"The Islamic Emirate (Taliban) believes if the country is not under occupation, the problem of the Afghans can be resolved through intra-Afghan understanding," Mansour said in the message posted in English on the Taliban´s website.
-
Poll reveals majority of Americans' views on Bad Bunny
-
Man convicted after DNA links him to 20-year-old rape case
-
California cop accused of using bogus 911 calls to reach ex-partner
-
'Elderly' nanny arrested by ICE outside employer's home, freed after judge's order
-
key details from Germany's multimillion-euro heist revealed
-
Search for Savannah Guthrie’s abducted mom enters unthinkable phase
-
Barack Obama addresses UFO mystery: Aliens are ‘real’ but debunks Area 51 conspiracy theories
-
Rosie O’Donnell secretly returned to US to test safety