EU presses UK to resubmit Brexit plan as end-game looms
BRUSSELS: EU and UK officials are to resume talks Monday on Britain´s plans for a managed Brexit after a weekend hiatus during which London was under pressure to revise its proposals.
The European Commission is adamant that, as they stand, “the UK proposals do not provide a basis for concluding an agreement”.
That grates with Britain´s government, which considers the proposals it submitted on Wednesday to be “a fair and reasonable compromise”.
After hours-long talks in Brussels on Friday failed to move the dial, a UK spokesman said: “We want a deal and talks continue on Monday on the basis of our offer.”
Time is running short for the two sides to close the gap.
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson is determined to take his country out of the the European Union at the end of this month.
An October 17-18 EU summit is to determine whether Britain is headed for a Brexit deal, no-deal, or an extension.
But European diplomats emphasise that London needs to offer revised, viable proposals within days and certainly before the end of next week, so any haggling and legalistic work is done before the summit.
“Everything must move very quickly and any negotiation has to start at the beginning of next week,” one diplomat told AFP. “We will evaluate next Friday whether it´s been possible to bring the positions closer.”
Although Johnson has called his Brexit proposals a broad “landing zone” the EU´s chief negotiator, Michel Barnier, and his team are unsure how far Britain will budge.
The EU refuses to characterise the talks held so far as negotiations, underlining a preference to stick with a Brexit withdrawal agreement that was struck with Johnson´s predecessor Theresa May but rejected three times by British MPs.
The main sticking point is a “backstop” for Northern Ireland.
That is meant to guarantee no border springs up between the British territory and EU member Ireland, threatening a hard-won peace accord, while also maintaining the integrity of the EU´s single market.
Britain´s current idea for an alternative to the backstop — which would see all the UK, or at least Northern Ireland, remaining in the EU´s customs union — is for untried technology to remove the need for most but not all border checks, and for EU standards on goods to continue to apply in Northern Ireland to facilitate trade.
The border plan is not acceptable for the EU. It sees the potential for rampant smuggling, especially as Johnson intends for the rest of the UK to diverge from EU labour, environmental and tax norms to aim for a regulation-lite economy on Europe´s doorstep. Nor does the EU agree with a proposal that Northern Ireland´s assembly be given a right to effectively veto the post-Brexit customs arrangement.
If either of those two proposals are red lines for Johnson, it is hard to see the EU moving talks into the negotiation phase.
Yet if he bends on them, he risks losing tenuous support in the UK parliament to maybe pass a Brexit deal, reliant on 10 Democratic Unionist MPs from Northern Ireland and hard-core Brexit MPs in his Conservative Party.
-
Katie Price Drama Escalates As Family Stays In Touch With Ex JJ Slater -
Critics Target Palace Narrative After Andrew's Controversy Refuses To Die -
Sarah Ferguson’s Delusions Take A Turn For The Worse: ‘She’s Been Deserted’ -
ICE Agents 'fake Car Trouble' To Arrest Minnesota Man, Family Says -
Camila Mendes Reveals How She Prepared For Her Role In 'Idiotka' -
China Confirms Visa-free Travel For UK, Canada Nationals -
Inside Sarah Ferguson, Andrew Windsor's Emotional Collapse After Epstein Fallout -
Bad Bunny's Star Power Explodes Tourism Searches For His Hometown -
Jennifer Aniston Gives Peek Into Love Life With Cryptic Snap Of Jim Curtis -
Prince Harry Turns Diana Into Content: ‘It Would Have Appalled Her To Be Repackaged For Profit’ -
Prince William's Love For His Three Children Revealed During Family Crisis -
Murder Suspect Kills Himself After Woman Found Dead In Missouri -
Sarah Ferguson's Plea To Jeffrey Epstein Exposed In New Files -
Prince William Prepares For War Against Prince Harry: Nothing Is Off The Table Not Legal Ways Or His Influence -
'How To Get Away With Murder' Star Karla Souza Is Still Friends With THIS Costar -
Pal Reveals Prince William’s ‘disorienting’ Turmoil Over Kate’s Cancer: ‘You Saw In His Eyes & The Way He Held Himself’