charged with corruption, murders and kidnappings.
In 2010, the Supreme Court had also sought the detail of these cases from the Sindh government but the then home secretary could not find the required record. The then chief justice had ordered the home secretary to provide a list of all criminal cases, which were abolished under the NRO in Sindh.
According to a statement of the then Sindh law minister Ayaz Soomro, as many as 3,576 cases were withdrawn under the NRO in Sindh.
It was claimed that over 3,500 criminal cases were registered against different leaders and activists of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement in Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Mirpurkhas and Nawabshah. These cases were withdrawn as part of the reconciliation policy for which a review board was formed under the supervision of retired Justice Ghaus Mohammad. The members of the board had included Law Secretary Ghulam Nabi Shah and the then AG Khwaja Naveed Ahmed.
It is said that the dozens of cases were also withdrawn against MQM chief Altaf Hussain, Dr Farooq Sattar and others.According to media reports, the provincial home department in the past had approached the jail authorities for the missing record but the jail officials also could not find it. It was also said that the record pertaining to the criminals released on parole in the aftermath of the NRO had also gone missing.
Contrary to the media reports, a former prosecutor general Sindh Shahadat Awan claimed that only six cases were withdrawn under the NRO and all of them were revived following the apex court’s order in the NRO case.
Opening ceremony featured cultural games, traditional music, food items, art exhibitions, fireworks, puppet shows
Under government Haj scheme, 89,000 pilgrims will travel to Saudi Arabia to perform Haj through five airlines
“If people wish to work in Europe or wish to work in North America, they should be allowed,” says Musk
Once Iran resumes transmission, normal operations are expected to return across affected areas
Guinness World Records finally invited her to event in Los Angeles in 2010 to measure her tongue
Ukraine’s military has previously said it halted strikes on Russian energy facilities on March 18