KABUL: The Taliban have killed 27 members of the Afghan security forces, police and government officials said on Monday, as a peace effort brokered by the United States struggles to get off the ground.
The Taliban and the United States struck a deal last month allowing the United States and its allies to withdraw their forces in exchange for Taliban promises on preventing terrorism.
A Taliban commitment to talk peace with the US-backed government was part of the pact but efforts to get talks going have been hampered by differences between the government and the Taliban on a prisoner exchange and on negotiating teams. The Taliban have not agreed to a ceasefire with government forces and fighting has not ended, although the Taliban have not announced any spring offensive, which they normally do at this time of the year.
In the latest clashes, Taliban stormed the compound of a top police officer in the northeastern province of Takhar, killing 13 policeman and wounding the senior officer, a spokesman for the force said.
In the southern province of Zabul, Taliban forces attacked government security outposts, killing at least 11 soldiers, police said. The ministry of defence said on Twitter six soldiers were killed in those clashes.
Government security posts were also attacked in the southern province of Helmand and northern province of Baghlan, officials said. Four members of the security forces were killed in both attacks. Thirteen Taliban fighters were killed in Baghlan, according to police spokesman. The Taliban also suffered casualties in the other three attacks, officials said, but they did not provide details.
Opening ceremony featured cultural games, traditional music, food items, art exhibitions, fireworks, puppet shows
Under government Haj scheme, 89,000 pilgrims will travel to Saudi Arabia to perform Haj through five airlines
“If people wish to work in Europe or wish to work in North America, they should be allowed,” says Musk
Once Iran resumes transmission, normal operations are expected to return across affected areas
Guinness World Records finally invited her to event in Los Angeles in 2010 to measure her tongue
Ukraine’s military has previously said it halted strikes on Russian energy facilities on March 18