MONTREAL: The head of Canada´s armed forces has said preventing the spread of the coronavirus in the country is the “primary concern” of his troops.
“Today, our mission along with the armed defence of Canada is to safeguard our health, safeguard the health of Canadians, and be prepared to respond to calls for assistance,” General Jonathan Vance said in a statement Friday.
Units will be able to “deploy by sea, road or air” to support authorities in the battle against the pandemic in Canada, the statement added.
Domestic and global operational commitments will be maintained, the statement said, although some missions “will be reviewed” and scaled back to protect the health of soldiers.
All those returning from deployment will be quarantined for 14 days. Canada has so far reported 4,757 infections and 55 deaths from the coronavirus.
On Thursday the defence ministry announced it was scaling down its training of the Ukraine military — started in 2015 in response to Russia´s annexation of Crimea — due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Activists for and against Planned Parenthood demonstrate as the US Supreme Court hears oral arguments in South...
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh listens to remarks at U.S. Vice President JD Vance's residence during a...
Rubble lies near a pagoda damaged during a strong earthquake, in Mandalay, Myanmar, March 29, 2025. —...
Military personnel stand guard at a nuclear facility in the Zardanjan area of Isfahan, Iran, April 19, 2024....
New York City Mayor Eric Adams looks on during a press conference at City Hall in Manhattan in New York City, March...
Secretary of State Marco Rubio attends a joint press conference with Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness, in...